Tuesday, May 22, 2012

This is it

Life as I know it in my 20s is quickly coming to a close.  Tomorrow...this girl turns the big 3-0.  (!!!)

I know most people say, "Yeah, OK Lex, it's really not that big a deal."  This I know.  However it is the end of a long era for me and I do have a lot to reflect on.
Am I looking forward to my 30s?  Sure, why not.
Will I miss the 20s?  A-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y!

I have gone through a LOT in my 20s.  Everyone has their own stories to tell.  For me, some highs, some lows.  All of it allowed me to grow as a person.  I can comfortably say I'm transitioning to a 30-something woman as a more knowledgeable, selfless, sincere and rational person.  Most of the time...


So much has happened in this last decade.  Heck... I moved across the country, practically one coast to another.  On my lonesome.  No family nearby.  What the hell was I thinking?
Majority of my 20s has been spent away from my family on another coast.  This has undoubtedly been one of the most difficult things for me.  At the same time, I had made some adoptive families and become a comfortable part of them.  New bonds and new relationships have been formed and despite them not "filling a void" from not having my blood family nearby, it has been extremely comforting to become so close and so loved by others.

As life has it, many people have come and gone in my circle of friends/family.  I am thankful for those people who I surround myself with present-day.  Many of which probably don't even know how thankful I am for me to have them in my life and how much they mean to me.  With life's ups and down's, there have been times where people have drifted away and others resulting in an absolute parting of ways.  The experiences I've had in my 20s have been the typical growth experiences but for me it's funny to reflect back at my "Lex knows best" attitude in my early twenties and realize how much I didn't know, about life, about others, about myself, about the things I need and the things I value.

With my work life, it's funny for me to reflect back at how many years I've spent doing the same type of work.  Albeit with different companies, and different positions, but the type of work has been the same.  For someone who's always had a difficult time knowing what they've wanted to do in life, my 20s have had me pretty grounded on that front.  I don't have a life plan and still don't know what exactly I want in life - so I take each day as they come.  I haven't rushed hastily into something I don't love or regret which to me is just as rewarding as taking the scenic route on a road trip.

Today, my head is all over the place.  Today also seems a bit lacklustre.

Tomorrow... more of the same.  It IS just another day.

Celebration should be given to my mother who had been diagnosed with cancer around the time of my birth.  Likely, had she not been pregnant with me, she wouldn't have known she had cancer.

Celebration to her survival.

To me.. and to my birthday,.it's just a number.

See you in my 30s. :)

1 comment: